Computer & Mobile Device Coach (Tech Coach)
General Description: The Computer & Mobile Device Coach has two roles: he/she is the IT staff for all of OSCIL’s operational needs as well as the key staff person who makes it possible for our consumers with disabilities to become empowered to learn and use their devices. This is an ideal job for someone who has experience working at the Apple Genius Bar or the Best Buy Geek Squad.
If you are a Techie or a Geek and you would love an opportunity to apply your knowledge to help people with disabilities to become more independent and to make a difference in their lives, then this position will be very purposeful and fulfilling for you. If you have a positive attitude, are willing to put the consumer first, and you love finding solutions to problems then, OSCIL may the place for you.
The Tech Coach reports directly to the CEO of OSCIL and supports the functioning of Operations Manager, the Administrative Assistant and the IL staff.
1) Set-up and register all hardware and software and Apps to be used by OSCIL staff;
2) Trouble shoot and fix problems with OSCIL devices and software;
3) Maintain inventory of all hardware, devices, peripherals, and software/App licenses;
4) Assess and identify technological solutions for OSCIL consumers with disabilities so that they can communicate safely, access services remotely, and continue to live independently in the community;
5) Set-up all devices and install all software and/or Apps on the devices identified and purchased for consumer use;
6) Set up home automation or IOT networks in consumers’ homes;
6) Train OSCIL staff on how to use their devices and Apps to increase the effectiveness and efficiency of their work activities;
7) Coach OSCIL consumers with disabilities to help reach their goal of technological empowerment that helps them to live, learn, work, and play more independently and feel secure in there surroundings; and,
8) Enter data to track consumers’ progress in acquiring, learning, and using technology.
Physical and Mental Abilities Required:
Must be able to lift and carry up to 40 pounds;
Must be able to bend and reach;
Must be able to push and manipulate keys and buttons;
Must be able to read instructions;
Must be able to maintain a positive attitude and disposition in the face of negativity or complaints from consumers;
Must be able to independently travel around Rhode Island to visit and consult with consumers in their homes;
Have a strong interest in technology, and possess an agility to learn new technologies and products;and,
Possess communication skills that allow you to explain things plainly and in a way that non-geeks can understand.
Educational and Experience Required:
Must possess at least a two year certificate in computer technology or smart home (or IOT or Home Automation) certification or have successfully completed the Apple Genius training program or a Geek Squad Field Agent training program.
1 year experience in a customer service or in-home experience environment
1 year experience in an electronics industry
Experience actively using and learning about smart home products and networks; and,
6 months experience delivering, integrating and/or repairing consumer electronic products
Bilingual in English and Spanish is a major asset.
Compensation and Benefits:
This is a full-time salaried position requiring 37.5 - 40 hours per week;
Salary: $40,000 - $45,000 depending on experience and track record;
2 weeks paid vacation after the first year;
8 paid sick or safe leave days;
3 personal days;
Comprehensive health care insurance benefits for employee only with opportunity for buy in to cover dependents;
Bonuses for merit or the successful attainment of goals; and,
Opportunity to contribute to a tax free retirement fund (no employer match).
Equal Opportunity Employer
OSCIL is an organization of folks with disabilities that employs people with disabilities and people without disabilities. Because we are committed to the full inclusion of people with disabilities, people with disabilities who are otherwise qualified to per for the essential functions of the job with or without accommodations are strongly encouraged to apply.
Prospective Candidates from minority communities and those who speak English as a second language are strongly encouraged to apply.
Deadline for Applying: June 16, 2020
Apply at Indeed at