Disability Awareness & Community Presentations
Part of OSCIL's mission is to bring information to the community to help address barriers to independent living such as:
- Assistive technology demonstrations
- Barriers to effective communication
- How Center services can help your independent living goals
- Understanding nursing home transition
- Utilizing telecommunication devices for the Deaf
- How home modifications can increase access in a home
- Young adult independent living skills training
- Effective public testimony
If you would like more information, please contact our office at 738-1013 or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
OSCIL conducts disability awareness trainings in a variety of settings as well as offering Deaf Culture Sensitivity training. In addition, OSCIL staff participates in senior citizen and disability-related events throughout RI, conducting AT demonstrations, formal and informal group presentations and hosting informational exhibits and displays.
OSCIL works together with state and local government and public entities to eliminate architectural, communication, and attitudinal barriers. OSCIL has provided technical assistance to T.F. Greene Airport, area hospitals, Roger Williams Park, the Board of Canvassers, and many other private businesses and organizations to comply with the Americans With Disabilities Act (ADA) and Rhode Island Law 42-87-2. Individuals who experience barriers in the community, i.e. inaccessible restaurants, public events, schools, etc., are encouraged to call OSCIL for information and assistance.