Independent Living Coordinator – Deaf Services (Part-time)
Reports to: Program Manager
To establish and work with consumers on personal goals for independence, including advocating for, and the coordination of, appropriate services for increased independence in the home and community.
- Assess the independent living needs of persons with disability who contact OSCIL for assistance and set priorities for service provision.
- Provide direct IL services to consumers, in consumer’s homes and at the OSCIL office (Information and Referral, Direct Skills Training, Advocacy and Peer Support).
- Assist consumers with connection to community resources, transportation and housing options, and assist with the acquisition of assistive technology, as indicated in the consumer’s IL Plan.
- May be required to work as a team with other OSCIL staff in the provision of services, assisting with communication clarification.
- Advocate for and coordinate appropriate services for increased independence in home and community.
- Regularly document all activity into agency’s data management
- System and provide monthly or quarterly reports to the Program Manager, as requested.
- May be required to provide crisis intervention.
- Other duties as indicated by the Program Manager.
- Must be fluent in American Sign Language (ASL) and have an understanding of Deaf culture.
- Minimum of Associate’s Degree in Human Services field. Will consider candidate without degree with relevant work experience.
- Must have prior experience working with the Deaf community.
- Two or more years’ experience in addressing the needs of people with disabilities.
- Must have a valid driver’s license and be willing to travel to consumer homes to provide service. (OSCIL serves state-wide)
- Must possess excellent written communication skills, and be comfortable speaking in front of small groups.
- Must be able to work independently and under pressure and possess skills at setting priority for task accomplishment.
- Possess an understanding of the laws that effect persons with disability is helpful, but not required.
- Must be able to pass a BCI check.
Hours: Part-time position: 21 hours per week